Friday, November 1, 2013

The morning after

I'm sorry I didn't get this chapter out earlier life intervened but here is chapter 9 for Alice.


Alice sprang up from her bed panting. The dream she had last night disturbed her but also sent a thrill through her body as well. She looked at her clock and saw that she only had two and a half hours until the bus arrived so she got up and grabbed a few choices for clothing placing them on her bed. She walked to the bathroom and proceeded to take a shower to get some of the sweat she had produced from her dream. In the process of showering she started to remember the dream causing panic and excitation and when she took her first breathe her throat burned and it forced her out of the remembrance. After finishing up Alice went to the mirror and gasped.
"Why the hell are my eyes blue," Alice shouted in terror as she stared at her reflection. She inched closer and closer to the mirror focusing on her eyes growing more and more disturbed as she saw her eyes genuinely were blue and not a result of the lighting. She became so focused on her eyes that she didn't hear the garage door opening and her mother coming upstairs. Her mother touched her shoulder and because she was so focused on her eyes she jumped when she felt something her.
"Joan don't scare me like that I'm already freaking out because of my eyes."
Joan's motherly and nursing instincts went into overdrive upon hearing that her little girl might have something wrong with her eyes. She grabbed Alice's head and immediately noticed they weren't their natural creamy brown and instead a brilliant blue that seemed to glow. She pulled Alice's eyelids wide open and told Alice to move her eyes around. They did this for what Alice thought was an eternity.
"I want to take you to the hospital," Joan said in a tone that Alice knew meant her mom was in nurse mode.
"Joan, I'm sure I'm fine it probably was the laser yesterday. I probably saw it and it caused me to faint after I fell down the stairs. The laser might have slightly burned my eyes or something."
Joan upon hearing her daughter had a fall and fainted yesterday for the first time yelled that this was the first time she had heard of the incident and screamed a long line of profanities but Alice eventually calmed her down and went to get changed for school. When she got downstairs her mom had made her a breakfast and was reading the paper. Alice thought to herself that her mom was a miracle worker because she had just got off a shift and must be exhausted but she was able to make her breakfast. Alice sat down and started to eat albeit hesitantly because all the food she had so far eaten had tasted tasteless but this time she could actually taste some of it. It didn't taste exactly like her mom's cooking but it did have some of its flavor.
"Why aren't you dressed up, you do remember it's Spirit's day today," Joan asked.
Alice tried to remember what the date was today and then realized that it was Spirit's day but she typically always forgot about holidays and she never really understood why Tenebrum, their town, had to have in essence two halloweens literally a month a part.
   "Ah, damitra I completely forgot and crud I only have an hour before I have to go and I know if I don't dress up everyone will mock me and possible do other things. Why do we live in a town that celebrates basically two halloweens. The only difference is one doesn't have candy and the other does.
Joan was about to tell Alice what Spirit's day was really about but Alice ran upstairs. Alice scurried to find the costume she had made but couldn't find it. She opened her closet in a last ditch hope and found it. The problem was it wasn't finished she realized and the work left was to great to actually finish in a day let along an hour. She grew incredibly frustrated and started to wave her arms around. She didn't notice the tiny blue white strands coming out of her hands and hitting the dress adding new pieces to it. She continued to do this for several minutes before feeling exhausted and collapsing onto her bed.
Joan heard the thump and ran upstairs thinking her daughter had collapsed. When she got up to Alice's room she saw that Alice was just exhausted and turned around and saw Alice's dress.
"Oh my. That is beautiful, how did you make it. It actually looks like it's glowing."
Alice hearing what her mother was saying got up and looked at the dress wondering why her mother thought her incomplete dress looked beautiful let along glowing. When she saw the dress she almost collapsed on her bed again. She thought it's not possible I wasn't even near finishing, I only had the slip finished but this looks complete, more than complete it actually looks like what the lady in her dreams was wearing. It is to say her dreams before the current set of nightmares she was having.
Alice looked at the dress. It looked exactly like the one in her dreams. It had a black slip as its base with black lace for the shoulders and attached gloves. The bottom half was a pure black that Alice thought didn't look like the stuff she had bought. Attached to the back was a hood that if Alice was to wear it would make completely block her face and to finish everything she had black heels that would compete the outfit. It would look exactly like the one the lady wore in her dream. As she walked toward the dress she somehow saw the lady from her dreams filling it out and for the first time realized that the lady she had been dreaming about for years looked like her. She thought she could be my mom.
"I wonder if she's my mom," Alice said without realizing it. Joan upon hearing Alice say that crumbled onto the bed. She had hoped to tell Alice when she turned 16 but she realized Alice must have figured out she was adopted at the same time she figured out that Alice must be talking about the woman from her dreams.
"Alice, when did you find out," Joan said in a hushed tone hoping that Alice wouldn't hear her.
Alice rotated and looked at her mom and realized that she must have said the last part of her thought. She felt overwhelming grief that she couldn't keep her mouth shut and allowed her mom to tell her that she was adopted.
"Oh god, I'm so sorry mommy I didn't mean it I should have told you that I found out but I didn't want to do that to you. I didn't want you to think I would want my birth mother over you when we would have arguments. Please let's just forget I said it."
"I'm sorry Alice I should have told you. We can't go back sweetie and you know that. So instead what do you want to know."
"Nothing, the only thing I want to know is can we get me in this dress before the bus arrives."
Joan perked up because one of her favorite things was dressing up especially with a deadline. They set upon getting her in the dress. It took almost the entire time they had left but Alice eventually got into the dress and shoes. Her mom insisted that they put some other makeup but Alice said that she wanted to look like the lady and at the same time realized the lady had blue eyes so she looked even more like her. As Alice was leaving Joan thought she saw blue light coming through the costume along her arms and back.
"Oh Desmond, I think it's happening. I think what you feared is going to pass. I need you so much now what happened to you," Joan cried once she knew Alice was gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment