Friday, December 28, 2012

First chapter of the new universe

Finally I'm finished with the first chapter of my new universe and just want to give you some details before hand.

The Alice universe is set in a dark fantasy genre. It deals with things like magic, Angels, demons, mythical creature and the like. This new universe is not connected at all to Alice's and is set in a dark science fiction genre. It largely deals with one person who is also the narrator making the story anfirstnperson. This is my first time writing a first person fiction and hope you like it.





"Journal, we figured out the code to get past the door and into the interior of the building. It was so simple once we figured out the species and dynasty that the architect lived in. It as difficult because this planet seems to be a collection of different species from other planets and this particular building is in essence a congregation point. There are so many different cultures within the building and they're all alien.
That's when Jo and I figured out that the characters nearest the door appear to be the earliest and have the most space taken. The other characters start to have less overall space as you get nearer to the entrance of the building which I believe to be a temple but most think other thoughts and I am the only archeologist on the team that deals with religious centers like temples, as you know, but back to the point Jo and I thought that the characters nearer to the entrance are newer and they get progressively older.
Well, we got it right and the door is the oldest and dates back to the original species on the planet. The other species, Jo postulated they were laying claim kinda like how countries posted flags on the lands they deemed their own. After all of this we determined that it was the last dynasty of the Precursors and from there we got the others involved. Goodnight Journal."
 Well I should get some sleep because we're going to open the door tomorrow early and I need to get some good sleep. Though I somewhat doubt that I could fall asleep with all the other thoughts that I have in my head especially the questions that have been gnawing at me. That's it I'm going to get at least one question answered and go to sleep after that.
I start walking down to another teammate's lab, Marcus who is I think is the most obnoxious man I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. He's good at determining the age of the artifacts that we've found but I just do not like how he gets so arrogant over inconsequential matters and that riles me. I hope that he has figured out how old the Precursor artifact I and my assistant found about a month after coming to this planet. Like all of the devices they created the artifact is in perfect condition but the stupid things just never respond. Jo and the Precursor historian Jason think that it's an exclusion principle that works off of genetics or a similar principle. I'm not so sure whenever I get near the artifact or the door even I feel this hum of electricity within my body. I'd tell them but I don't like how people view me afterword because of my secret which I would have to reveal then.
"Gabby, wait up I need to talk to you," I hear from behind me as I'm going down the corridor. When I turn around I see it's Sam the chief doctor for this expedition. I stop to let her catch up.
"Hi, Sam what do you want to talk about?"
"I need to do a checkup on you today to make sure you aren't having problems on this planet."
 "Is this for everyone or just me because of my condition," I responded defensively because the only people that know of my condition on this expedition are the leader and Sam and I would like to keep it that way.
"No, not at all. It's for everyone and I would never talk about medical procedures in a hallway if it's for only one person. Also though I think your case is fascinating I would never discuss it in an open environment like this one." Sam declared in a professional manner.
"I'm sorry I just don't like the medical field because of my condition."
"Well thank you and would you mind joining me right now to do the tests since we are not far from my lab?"
I wrestle with this question for obvious reasons. I would rather go to Marcus's lab and avoid Sam on a general purpose of not wanting to deal with medical personnel especially a person that knows about my condition. At the same time I would rather just get it over with.
"There is something else that I would like to discuss with you if you don't mind that I have been neglecting and it's about you condition," Sam whispered but putting emphasis on the end.
After hear that I felt I had no choice because if I thought if she was willing to say that after her talk on privacy it would have to be pretty important and serious. We started down to her lab talking about everything except the two things that forced us on our current path. Most of the conversation eventually centered around what we thought was behind the door that we started focusing on more and more. Sam thought that it would be weapons or technology that the Precursors had left behind. I however didn't think that was really the case. From what we have determined of the Precursors they were a massive empire said to have conquered most of the galaxy when humans still lived as nomadic tribes and hadn't even started founding cities. They also had some sort of powerful weaponry but the details about these technologies has yet to be found. The things we do know about the Precursor are that some sort of plague swept through their empire killing off all Precursors that it infected while mutating the other species that were a part of their empire.
"I always found it weird that bit of the Precursor history. I understand from a medical and science frame of mind now the effects of a plague but it is still hard for me to rationalize a plague affecting around seven thousand different species all of which are sentient. I also don't really understand how only one species was killed and all of the others just mutated into other forms," Sam announced when I brought up that part of their history.
"Maybe it wasn't really a plague. It could have been something else that acted like a plague like some set of parasitic creature that was made to kill off the Precursors. There has been shown some evidence that the other races of the Precursor empire did not like the totalitarian rule of the Precursors and had staged minor revolts though most of the time they did not come to anything."
As I finished we got to her lab and the door opened with the typical welcome back message that all of these type of outposts have. The only thing that was different was that the voice selected was that of a little child who sound . I was going to ask why the voice was a child's but then Sam started going into that typical doctor mode you often see in doctors if you are around them enough and I have very unfortunately.
"First things first I guess let's do that examination."
I sigh and say okay as well as knowing what she is going to say next I start to disrobe leaving only my undergarments on. I am very glad that the glass on the lab door is opaque and won't allow anyone to see behind it as well as the walls are near impossible to see or hear through unlike the last hospital I had to go to. I'll never be able to go back to that planet because of my condition.
"Now please disrobe and...oh I see you already have. So if you don't mind please get on the table."
"You don't have to tell me Sam I know all of the steps so please just do them."
"Okay, I guess you would with near five hundred medical exams in 23 years along with every medical journal you've been in."
After that Sam just did the tests and I just went into a routine I have for these horrendous experiences. In most cases these examinations are standardized, first ligament and reflexes. Next is sensory which is followed by status at rest where the doctor takes blood pressure, heart rate, and such. During this segment I zone out and allow my muscle memory to take over for everything. I think about the number of planets I have been on and the different races that have lived their. At the same time I create a galactic map to see note them all.
I noted this phenomenon in my dissertation about how certain planets have come to be well used in the past. Two examples come to mind right now. The first is Terra Nova which was the first long term and long distance earth colony that has prospered. It was used as a colony by at least a half dozen different space faring species. The reason for this is I believe like humanity most species based their faster-than-light space travel on Precursor technology and it requires large amounts of hydrogen and Terra Nova is in a Orion Nebula a stellar nursery which is made of a lot of hydrogen.
"Ok where done with the basic portions of the exam but I need to do some tests that are specific to this environment Gabby. After that I want to show you some thing."
I responded ok and Sam had me do the rest of the tests which included running a simulation, a stress test, along with tests that determine readiness to situations involving gravity, water, air, or the lack of any of these things.
"Thank you for doing the tests now because I don't think I could have done them and show you the item before the door is going to be open and I think it might be useful to you considering your condition. I should tell the reason behind me bring forth this item to you now I guess and how it is entirely centered around your unique condition."
Hearing this started me worrying about what she means and if there is something wrong with how my problem was solved.

No comments:

Post a Comment