Sunday, January 6, 2013

Gabby and her condition

Okay official reveal of the Gabby Universe. As some of you have read and probably figured out by now the SCI-fi universe's main character is Gabby as she is called so far. So here is the next chapter in her universe.


As Sam directed me toward the research side of her lab I got curious to what she wanted to give me. I scanned the area in some attempt to determine what she was going to show me but the place looked worse than my lab which I have some items dangling on others and most of them are fragile as far as I know. Plus they aren't really grouped in a certain order.
"Gabby please come over here and sorry but I need you to take off all of your clothes again. I need all of them off this time though. You can use this robe for the time being."
I almost groaned but stifled it before it fully emerged. I dislike taking of all of my clothes because it shows the full effect of my condition. As I am taking off all of my clothes my mind drifts to all of those summers where I wore one piece bathing suits to hide the external portion of my condition. Sam hands me the robe and I put it on and then she goes into what this thing is for.
"Gabby I would first tell you why I am bring this to you and that will require some knowledge that you already know. First as you know you were born with a mangled spine that damaged your spinal cord resulting in you having no motor control in all of your limbs but a tiny amount of sensory am I correct."
I responded yes feeling incredible disgust and sadness about how she could so calmly describe a condition that would have left me a quadriplegic but I think I'm going to be more disgusted by how she describes how they fixed me.
"Ok, so because of your age the doctors you had at the time came up with a procedure that had been unsuccessful in every other person it had been done on. The doctors retracted the skin around your spine and placed a harness for lack of a better word onto your spine. This harness sent nanites to connect to the damaged sections on your spinal column but they went further and overlapped your entire nervous system. That is what makes your condition so unique and how your body has accepted the nanites so remarkably."
I openly grimaced at how she could describe my state of being as remarkable. This condition as all of my doctors have come to call it does not feel remarkable or miraculous or anything of the sort. I have felt like a butchered play thing for all of the doctors to oh and ah about my whole life and no one sees me as a person. They see me as that god awful device attached to my spine.
"Well back to why we are here. You probably have never noticed because of the age they attached the harness but the device has a tremendous amount of energy in it. I've talked with all of your past doctors and we have determined that the energy isn't being fully utilized and has been slightly burning your spine and skin over time. This device is in someways an answer to it. The device covers your entire skin connecting to the harness external portions and draining energy to power itself. It will take most of the excess energy and we believe that it will allow for additional components."
"That's interesting, how long will the procedure take to get it on," I ask figuring it will take a while and saying that I can't do it just yet because I don't have that much time.
"10 minutes to an hour depending on how I put it on. The 10 minute approach will take longer for it to bond with you but it will be more comprehensive. The hour long will bind the entire device to you from the get go but will be confusing to you for a short while."
I say that I'll take the 10 minute version because I need to go soon and I secretly think I'll do anything to get out of this lab quicker. Sam tells me to take of the robe which I do with a dead attitude hoping that it will all be over soon. She puts on gloves and grabs a container that I didn't see in my cursory look around the lab. The lid slides off and I see a semi-transparent object in it. Sam picks up on side and places it at the base of my neck. The thing sends pain into me and she continues down my spine connecting the thing I guess to those horrible light emitting devices that are attached to every single vertebrae and are a part of the harness. When she finished I had a dull ache along my spine but I didn't complain.
"It will take a while for the thing to go over your entire skin but it will follow the nanites impulses that are traveling along your nervous system and not just overlay the easiest configuration for itself. The whole process shouldn't take more than three days. One lady thing here is a mirror take a look at your spine."
I wonder why she says this but as soon as I look I see that the lights are basically gone and the thing looks like the rest of my skin. I say thank you and hug Sam. I know it isn't professional or whatever but I can't resist. I put on my clothes and ask if I have to come back in but Sam interrupts me and says that I should come in before the door is opened so she can give me on more check up and test of the device which she hasn't told me anything more about.
We start to walk out of lab and down toward the main facility when I remember that I was going to Marcus's lab and excuse myself and head the other way. As I am walking I was somewhat aware of a creeping sensation and felt on my back that the device had already started to spread.

No comments:

Post a Comment